Thursday, August 21, 2008

Experimentation and Deliberation

I made two very small (2.5"x3.5") paintings, one watercolor and one acrylic. They are on artist trading cards, which I will be presenting at Art Jam on Friday. Anyway, the watercolor was completely experimental... I hadn't so much as touched watercolors since elementary school, and back then I was extremely offput because of how it reacted (then again, they were those little Crayola sets on flimsy printer-paper). It was actually very nice, I felt a lot more liberal with colors when it came to watercolor simply because they blended together so nicely.
Here it is...
I drew in ink first before coloring it in. Personally, I find this to be just okay. Alex, however, thinks it's the better of the two paintings. He said the wash was nice, and he loved how little blotches of color seem to pop (some on the water, on the boat, etc). He also said it was quite whimsical, very much more something I would do. It seems to be a consistency that my best pieces (according to others) are the ones I'm not as fond of :P Those pieces also tend to be very experimental, hmmm... maybe I'm a good experimenter. I'll never need to learn things! XD

I plan on speaking with my boss, who's an artist as well (I mean, he runs the art school, hahaha), about this... hopefully he can shed some light on it.

Now, here's the other one... I sketched it in first, then deliberately went at it with acrylics. The reason why I like this one the best is because I had the image in my head for a while. Not only that, but I experimented somewhat with adding random colors (which seems to be a good thing) to something fairly dichromatic.
So, here it is...What I like best is the the head and neck. I had a hard time trying to think of the lighting for it, but with a little help from Robert Carter's paintings* and my own sense of light logic, I managed to make it look really good... at least in my opinion. I also wanted to make my brush strokes quite visible like his... he is my new painting idol. I feel this piece is quite dramatic, which most people seem to think is not very me, but... hey, what can I say? I had this in my head. Inspired by concepts from Coldplays new song "Viva La Vida," actually.

So what do you think? Which painting do you think is better and why?




*If you happen to look through Robert Carter's portfolio, I actually referenced the foreground guy in the second piece from Carter's "Halo"... for the head angle and partially the lighting. Just wanted to give credit where it's due.

No comments: