Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Last post of the year, most likely

Wow, is it really the 31st of December?
Did I really just press through all of NaBloPoMo with minimal missed posts? It was bound to happen, with all that was going on for the month.

Which reminds me! I've got to tell ya'll about my time in Vegas. It was great :D
I actually opted to stick my own entries on the dates they occurred, so, below José's posts. You can view them here and here.
I was going to put them here, but I wanted to keep this as a kind of New Year post. Reflection of 2008, hopes for 2009 post, stuff like that.

I often don't remember things very well. There were a few very memorable events that occured during 2008, though, among them the trip to Washington D.C. we took with some friends from Germany. Really, anything we do is superfun as long as we're with them. I did a bunch fun things with Alex while we were together, and although we're not anymore, I can't deny that it was great being with him. I went rock climbing for the first (and hopefully not the last) time, went to Texas and loved it, attended a RODEO on the 4th of July! – hee, these were all summer events, at least the last 3 were.

Spring semester saw me struggle with my first drawing class, Summer saw me pick up my first paid job at a local art school, and Fall saw me attain higher levels in art skill with my first life drawing class. Not to mention I saw more than any normal person's fair share of nudity in 3 months ;P No, art students and Europeans aren't normal people! Kiddingkidding :P

I made some new friends, and got back in touch with the old. Do you ever wonder why you haven't hung out with a person sooner? The person you always say you'd hang out with, but never do, and there are never any hard feelings, just the interception of life? I felt that, but ultimately I'm glad to have reconnected with some people, like José and Brendel. Through them I did make new friends like Chelsea, and I'm always glad for that.

I went through some drama again this year which I'm not that comfortable saying aloud here, but everybody who reads this pretty much knows what happened. I want to thank you all for helping me through this, it seriously seemed so bleak at times, like I'd never get out of the dark. You were my morning stars, points of light in the dark, and you helped guide me home, and I'll always love you for that.

My health took a plunge when my scoliosis started to give me trouble. Funny that that should happen as I was studying anatomy in the human figure, because it gave me a deeper understanding of how connected everything in the body is. It's like a microcosm: cause and effect, cause and effect. The twists in my spine twisted my ribs, making one side more pushed closer together; it got harder to breathe and I started breathing from my diaphragm, so that when my chest did expand it caused all sorts of pain. I've been in physical therapy since around the end of October, and my session expires on the 18th of January. I'm feeling much better now, thanks for asking, and think I should be just dandy after the 18th.

I voted in a major election for the very first time, and the results were surprising for everybody.
America elected its first biracial president!
China threw a dazzling Olympics, despite all the crap that went down behind it.
There were fires in California again, but really, what could you expect?

I was exposed to many wonderful things. I'm sorry to say that Heroes took somewhat of a downfall, but I found my pleasure in books like Ender's Game and Watchmen, which will remain at the top of my list. Wall-E only strengthened my love for Pixar, and when Super Smash Bros. Brawl came out, that pretty much sucked me in. I was also introduced to Metal Gear Solid games which, while difficult, were very fun. Don't let me go into all the new music I got into, there are just too damn much.

Though all this, I wanted to thank a few people:

Lauren - For always being a good friend, someone excellent to talk to when I needed it. Whether we were plotting some weird antic, talking about life and love, or sharing what we liked, you were never judgemental and I always feel safe talking to you. Thanks for doing NaBloPoMo with me, too!

Justin - I'm glad we got to talk more this year. You're a great guy, and we've totally had our fair share of troubles, but I'm grateful to have gone through all this with you. You kept me grounded, buddy!

Brent - I will ALWAYS be thankful for you, you're simply the best!

Brendel - You're another person I'm glad I got closer to this year. It surprises me how much we had in common, and then how much more you had to offer in terms of advice, both in life and in fashion. I think out of everybody, you helped me the most in getting through the aforementioned drama. You were like, my coach, or something. Thanks so much.

Chelsea - CLAMMY HAND BUDDIES! A new friendship between us has forged, and I'd like to hang out with you more. Thanks for doing NaBloPoMo as well!

José - Your influence on me has been spectacular, like a supernova close enough to brighten the night sky. Watching the way you view and take in the world is great, I think that's helped me increase my own contentedness with life by leaps and bounds. You're a wonderful person, "just what the doctor ordered," and I can't wait to spend more time with you come the new year.

As always, my family, FSK, the Se7en, and my Germany friends are completely top-notch. All times are good times, and whatever the bads were paled by comparison. See, I don't even remember them, that's how awesome you are XD

Last but certainly not least, I wanted to thank God for another good year. I've definitely been through some trials and tribulations, but as the saying goes, God won't give you anything you can't get through. I'm glad He's blessed me with the people He has, and has given me unbelievable amounts of newfound strength. I'm not the same person I was on the 1st of January 2008: I'm harder, better, faster, ad stronger! All right, maybe not faster or harder, but I'm definitely stronger and much, much better.

Thanks to all my readers, those who left comments and those who didn't.
May you all have a wondrous celebration and a prosperous new year! We had a good orbit, Earth, let's do it again for 2009!

2 comments:

Lauren Ashley said...

*hugs* It was a GREAT year... despite certain pitfalls. :) I'm glad I got to experience it with you!! Here's to a great 2009! LET'S GET THIS!

Chelsea said...

I love this entry! Such a great way to wrap up the year!

I'm glad I met you too, Jordan. Or...finally re-met you. We never hung out in High School and now we're talking and it's awesome!

We get along so well and I'm really thankful for that. Usually I'm never so open to a new friend, but you and I have a lot of things in common right off the bat and you're such an enjoyable person to be around! I bet we hang out tons in 09!