Sunday, December 21, 2008

Musicals

So Lauren was a good, interactive little reader and responded to my request on something to write about :) She asked me what my favorite musical was.

I'd have to say The Phantom of the Opera.

I saw it live and cried, and then when I saw the movie, I cried again.

I'm not sure exactly what it is I love about Phantom. Its romantic, love-triangle storyline isn't something I'd normally go for. I think I very much like the chemistry present between Christine and the Phantom. There's so much raw seduction, fascination, and possession involved... you know it's an unhealthy 'relationship,' but you can't help but be drawn into it. I think I pretty much fell in love with the music as well, particularly "Past the Point of No Return." That scene was absolutely dripping with such raw emotion. In the movie, Gerard Butler makes an exceptionally sexy Phantom.



Damn, I get chills just by listening to it — then watching it is an ENTIRELY different story!

I've seen quite a few musicals in my time, and although I can attest to one's better story or scenery or set up as compared to Phantom, none of them have stuck in my head so well.

As a rundown, I've seen:
Starlight Express - it's about toy trains that come to life! I don't remember much of it, but it as the first live musical I saw, and I saw it in London. I forgot my glasses during it though! Ugh.

Mamma Mia! - It's such a fun musical! So catchy, the story was a bit confusing for me at first. How can you not get up and dance to ABBA songs?

The Lion King - The costumes were absolutely genius, as was the instrumental setup and music.

Wicked - It lived up to its hype: the story was excellent, the music moving, everything was absolutely top-notch. I'd definitely watch it again.

The Drowsy Chaperone - This was pretty funny, and hard to describe. It's about a guy playing a record of the songs from his favorite musical, titled The Drowsy Chaperone. The other players act out the musical while the guy pauses sometimes and makes random comments. Pretty good :D

I think that's all I've seen, including Phantom of course. There are a few more out there I'd LOVE to watch, like Spring Awakening and Avenue Q, and hopefully I'll get the chance to in the future.

5 comments:

Lauren Ashley said...

I think the thing that makes something a "favorite" for us is the fact that we love it, even though there's absolutely no reason we should. It's not our taste, it's not something we'd go for, but in the end, we can't help but admit that we want to watch it and/or listen to it again... and again... and again... that's what makes something a favorite... it's magical. :)

Spring Awakening - awkward. AWKWARD... more awkward than one would think, but good. :)

I'm going to go see Wicked around my birthday, I can't wait!! It's my favorite and I haven't even seen it yet! :D

Too bad I can't have Joey McIntyre as Fiyero, though... oh man that would rock. :)

Chelsea said...

I've never been to an opera before, but my parents have seen Phantom more than twice. It's their absolute favorite!

I basically grew up listening to the cassette soundtrack in the car whenever we would go anywhere.

Oddly enough I've never seen the movie. AND a friend here lent it to me. Hmm...I should watch it.

I'll try to watch it before next weekend!

Jordan said...

Lauren - My school's theatre department actually did Spring Awakening as a play instead of the musical, and I really liked it. I heard a bit of the music from it, and now I want to see it :)

Chelsea - Yea you should watch it! Then tell me how you like it, we can gush over Gerard Butler and his amazingosity :P

Lauren Ashley said...

Yeah, the play version was around first, and they adapted it to the musical... the musical is just awkward... I have the soundtrack if you want it. :)

Brent said...

"raw seduction", I like that! The Lion King is something I've wanted to see for a long time.