Tuesday, December 9, 2008

The number 8

Because I missed a post on yesterday, December 8, I am making today's entry entirely about the number 8. No Lauren, I won't mess with the time stamp, hasn't Hiro taught you anything about altering time?

Anyway, first of all, 8 is considered a lucky number among the Chinese because its pronunciation (ba1) is similar to the word for "prosper" (fa1). Also related to Chinese culture are the Eight Immortals: Lu Dongbin, Immortal Woman He Xiangu, Royal Uncle Cao Guojiu, Iron-Crutch Li Tieguai, Lan Caihe, Philosopher Han Xiang Zi, Elder Zhang Guo Lao, and Zhongli Quan. "Each Immortal's power can be transferred to a tool of power (法器) that can give life or destroy evil" (Wikipedia).

Eight is also a lucky number in Hindu culture. It is the number of wealth and abundance.

They all seem to relate to that, and if you take our symbol for 8 and turn it on its side, it is the symbol for infinity.

The Buddhist wheel symbol, Dharmachakra, has 8 spokes. In general, 8 plays a great role in Buddhism.

Octopi have 8 tentacles, and are among my favorite animals.

Spiders also have 8 limbs, though unlike octopi, they are not among my favorite animals.

8 is the atomic number for oxygen.

Since the demotion of Pluto, we now have 8 actual planets in our Solar System.

8 is the largest cubed number in the Fibonacci sequence.

8 is symbolic for lesbian sexual relations(?!!).

The first surviving set of octuplet babies are the Chukwu octuplets, not all of whom actually survived.

October used to be the 8th month on the Roman calendar, before July was added in honor of Julius Caesar, and August in honor of Augustus Caesar.

I came up with an awesome idea for a blog, but I'll need to do some research on it before I can get it going. I'll probably enlist the help of some friends, but it most likely won't come until I'm done with my finals (last one next Thursday!).

STAY TUNED AND HOPE I DON'T MISS ANY MORE DAYS LOLOLOL.
Uuuuugggh I can't believe I missed it.
José was right though, my internet DIIIID go down for a good chunk of the night. I just fell asleep. Kuasehfgaiurgh.

Oh yea, this Wikipedia article was totally my source. I only really knew the infinity one, and the Chinese lucky number one, partially, hahaha :P

2 comments:

Chelsea said...

I really like this!

I enjoy wikepedia, it's probably why newspapers are going bankrupt. Darn internet!

Lauren Ashley said...

Okay, first of all, the ONLY REASON I told you about altering the time stamp was because your internet was down... I just figured you deserved a handicap... lol.

"Octopi have 8 tentacles, and are among my favorite animals.

Spiders also have 8 limbs, though unlike octopi, they are not among my favorite animals."

HA! Priceless!

"Since the demotion of Pluto, we now have 8 actual planets in our Solar System." Poor Pluto...

"8 is symbolic for lesbian sexual relations(?!!)." er... is there something you need to tell me?

"October used to be the 8th month on the Roman calendar, before July was added in honor of Julius Caesar, and August in honor of Augustus Caesar." DAMN THOSE CAESARS!

There were also 8 people on Noah's Ark, and the chinese word for boat is a boat with 8 people on it... hmm...