Wednesday, December 17, 2008

What do I write?

Do I do some research and bring back my findings?
No, I don't have time for that, I have to get to my project.

Another round of song-lyric posting?
Can't think of a song right now.

Hm.
Normally when I blog, I want the content to provide meaning for some people. When I blog, I want the reader to be able to take something from it — be it food for thought, a laugh, a cool link, a novel idea, whatever. This is probably why, over the years, I've blogged less and less about the daily happenings in my life. If you look at my old Xanga, that's pretty much all I wrote about, along with the occasional (HA!) survey or online quiz result. It really was all about me.

Actually, it's still about me, but my recent blogging habits turn my attention outward, toward the reader. If something happens to me that I want to write about, I will find the concept behind it and share it and invite you to contemplate how that fits in your life or something you've heard about. It is no exaggeration for me to say that I thrive on the connections and interactions between people, and the more the merrier. I suppose I'm biased though, these kinds of things are only really fun with people who are open-minded and willing to put forth their opinion in a non-offensive way, at least online, where so many of the nuances of face-to-face conversation simply get lost in translation.

Actually, when I started blogging again (I think when I started the Vox), I had this mini-dream of having my blog act as a sort of online magazine, where everything is viewer-interactive and intriguing. Blogs like powersugoi, which I've kept up with for quite a while, really inspire me in that way. What's even more fun is a blog team, like my friend Steve's darkmusic, where you have a bunch of people blogging. I'm actually on darkmusic (Jolls/Jordan). A bunch of people blog quite differently there, so check it out! We've got forums and stuff, so you could sign up and talk about whatever. It's all quite new at this point, so more users would be nice.

So there's my little thing on blogs. It seems like nowadays the way to get yourself out there is via social networking sites. Remember back when we all wanted our own webpage? When we ran to geocities and and other free hosting sites in order to have our own webpage? I think the social networking movement answered that call for our own sites and made it that much easier for us, which is, of course, a good thing. We can't all be HTML savvy ;) But you gotta admit, having your own site is still a pretty sweet idea. But like I said, if I were to have one, I'd really want it to have purpose and content, I wouldn't want to feel like I've wasted the viewer's time. Maybe I'm taking myself too seriously, but that's how I feel about it right now.

And so, true to my own stated opinions, I want to know how you feel about blogging. What do you write in your blogs? What do you want others to take from it? When you visit someone else's blog, what are you expecting?

Oh also, just to give me something to write about, I'm opening the floor up to you guys as to what I should write about. Give me a topic, any topic, and depending on how many I get and how long it could take to write, I'll try to get to all the ones requested. Not many people read this, much less bother to comment, so I don't think I'll have much trouble ;P

No comments: