Friday, January 16, 2009

Creative Expression

I watched the premiere for America's Best Dance Crew last night, and it was pretty sweet. I haven't really watched many episodes of this show before... like, probably the last few of first season, when it was between Kabba Modern and Jabbawockeez and see-I-don't-even-remember-the-other-one. But it was great! I think if I had to compare it to another elimination show, say American Idol, I think it's a lot easier for me to see who I like right off the bat. While we're on that topic, my top 3 are Quest, Dynamic Edition, and Boxcuttuhz. I might have been a bit biased for Quest because José loves them and his breakdancing instructor is a member, but seriously, they're great! I love their choreography and creativity. Dynamic Edition is definitely impressive in that they bring something totally different (clogging) from everyone else to the stage, and Boxcuttuhz is overall very fun to watch. Not to mention that one girl is pretty cute, teehee.

I always say that if I had to have any sort of natural talent that I don't already have, I'd pick dancing. To me, it's one of the most dynamic forms of creative expression, and it uses the human body! We're all so familiar with the human body, but seeing it in motion keeping in time with the beat and music is so satisfying. In fact, I once read an article on why dancing "pleases" the brain so much, and it's because of that kind of coordination. You can read the article here: Why do we like to dance? (Scientific American)

Actually, I'd do well with any type of coordination! I feel like I can move individual parts of my body, but can't coordinate them properly. I'm probably just thinking too much about it — that's what my capoeira instructor always told me, back when I still did capoeira. I should pick it up again...

On the other hand, I'm truly grateful for the artistic talent I already inherently possess. Most of the time I downplay it in order to let myself know I can always get better, but when it comes down to it, I'll admit my talent and be eternally thankful for it. Yesterday before watching America's Best Dance Crew, I was teaching José how to draw. He's been learning since last summer and it's something he really wants to do. What's great is that he's such a good "student" so to speak, so eager to learn and listen and follow instructions. Does it show that I love teaching yet? :P He told me that he wants to be able to express himself in drawing, and I totally feel that way about dancing and just body movement in general.

We've all got things to strive for ;)

What about you — how would you love to be able to express yourself, aside from ways that you already do?

No comments: