Friday, January 23, 2009

Eager to Please

I've been told by various people that my need to please everybody I care about is detrimental to my self-growth. I guess I agree.

The reason why I do it is because ever since I was little I've always hated it when people got mad at me. In my head, if someone got mad at me, it means I messed up. I did something to upset them, which is why they're mad at me. This isn't always true of course, sometimes anger is unfounded and caused by other things and just let out on whoever. But this is the way I've always felt.

It's true: I care about what other people think about me. Scratch that; I care about what the people I care about think about me. I would make the effort to make sure I can make them happy, because I care about them.

This has always made sense to me.

And now I don't know how to stop.

1 comment:

Lauren Ashley said...

I think it's perfectly alright to not want the people you care about to be mad at you, but I think it's also very important to remember that sometimes, there's not a lot you can do. Sometimes people will get mad at you, be it something you did, something they think you did, or them just being mad and taking it out on you. :)