Monday, January 26, 2009

First day of school! First day of school!

Yea yea yea!
Let's get right on this!

The drive to school went remarkably well. There was no traffic on the freeways, and the normal school exit wasn't clogged with student cars. It was eerie. I had to check to make sure it was, in fact, Monday the 26th, and that I indeed started class today.

It wasn't that hard to find parking either. Again, checked the date. This was weird!

Either way, I got there okay (read: pretty damn well) and had my first class at 9:00.
Typography ho!
The class was full up and there were about 10 other people wanting to add. I see they haven't fixed the sections problem :\ The class has gotten higher in demand since they made it a requirement for Industrial and Interior design students last semester.
Anyway, the professor was great, she's so fun and talkative! She also proclaimed herself to be the most lenient grader ever, so I'm a tad relieved. She's very motherly and funny, I think I'm going to have a lot of fun in this class.
I must admit though, reading the syllabus over was a little weird... it called upon the ability to develop concepts and designs, which I'm comfortable doing anyway, but in the realm of type. I've never had to think about that before... perhaps the positioning of type, yes, but never really the look of it. I'm definitely new to this, and I have no doubt that it'll be very interesting and good for me :)

After type I met up to hang out with Christine for a bit, who then sat in my next class with me: Astronautics and Space. I know I said I was extremely and nerdishly excited for this class, but not even that could stop me from nodding off on the first day! I don't know what it was, it's just that when I sat down, I suddenly felt very, very sleepy. All she did was go over the syllabus anyway. Hopefully I don't make a habit of it.
Here's a taste of it, here's why I'm geekin' so hard: "This course combines the disciplines of space engineering with economics, human physiology, satellite meteorology, earth resources and environmental science, astronautics and science, astronautics and space exploration."

Ooh lala, I say. OOH LALA!~

Anyway, after that I met up with my friend Nick so we can head over to our next class, Nonverbal Communication. I already told ya'll why I was excited for this class. It's a big class, but it's not in a lecture hall, so it maintains a bit of intimacy still. In fact, after this first class, I can tell that we're going to reach all sorts of levels of intimacy XD!
It's just the first day and already we did what she called "experientials." Basically it's volunteer demonstrations of what we're learning about, which is nonverbal communication. It's all based around people, so we get all that kind of fun :D
Anyway, the professor had us stereotype her based on her clothing and the way she carried herself. She asked us if we thought if she was married or not, had kids or not, what her favorite music is, etc. It turned out that the way she dressed today is totally not how she dresses normally at all, she just wanted to throw us off! She was all done up in a bidness (yes, bidness) suit and really neat make-up, and she said that she normally dresses very casually. Weird!
Then she had us stereotype two volunteers, and then stereotype a group of people by judging who was the "most intelligent," "coolest," and "most friendly." It was kind of embarrassing because nobody wanted to admit giving into stereotypes such as "I'm voting for the Asian guy coz Asians are stereotypically smart," but I guess that's the whole point.
And yes, I voted for the Asian guy as "most intelligent" :P

Tomorrow I've got Computer Art and am going to try to get into an art history class. I'll report back tomorrow with the results :D I had a fun day at school, and I'm sure tomorrow will be too! Catch ya'll on the flip side!

No comments: