Saturday, January 3, 2009

Love

Today I posted a note on facebook with a simple question and a simple request:

What is love?
Tell me via comment.

I wasn't sure how many people would respond, or how many people would respond intelligently with thoughts of their own. Love is, aside from being a many splendored thing, very multi-faceted, and on top of that subjective, so I was excited to see what I'd get. I was betting there would be at least one person to say "baby don't hurt me, dont hurt me, no more" and I wasn't disappointed XD

In everything else, I wasn't disappointed.
Here are the answers I got:

What is love?
  • Scott
    falling asleep in someone's arms
  • James B.
    It is what made an injured Darth Vader kill the Emperor in order to save the life of his son in 'Return of the Jedi' Now, THAT, is love :D
  • José
    Placing someone's value over the value of the self. Making them stronger makes you stronger. Love is happiness, contentment, joy, bliss, struggle, achievement, everything.
  • Brendel
    baby don't hurt me. baby don't hurt me. no more.
  • Mika
    love is donating 7 organs, lawl
  • Heidi
    Okay I'm going to attempt being deep AND geeky. Given that I've been on a KotOR kick lately, and I already have it in my profile anyway, here's a quote from the muderous assassin droid HK-47.

    "Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope. Statement: This definition, I am told, is subject to interpretation. Obviously, love is a matter of odds. Not many meatbags could make such a shot, and fewer would derive love from it. Yet for me, love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticle, and together, achieving a singular purpose, against statistically long odds."

    At first one might think, "lol bloodthirsty assassin droid is bloodythirsty" but seriously man, think about it.
  • Steve R.
    anal sex... pure and simple
  • Justin
    ...I think love is also having those strong feelings for someone because of their faults just as much as their strong points, not just despite those faults.

    Love is pain, love is passion, love is bitter, love is fire, love is a raging sea and a gentle breeze. It's everything good and bad all rolled in to one thing, because you can't have the good without dealing with some of the bad. You'll never know what the good really is, if you don't feel the bad.

    It can hurt, and it can heal.

    "Love is all we need".

    "What the world needs now, is love, sweet love".

    May seem corny to use songs like that, but it's so accurate. Love makes the world go round. It's everything.
  • Chelsea
    I wish I could give you a great answer, but I've never been in LOVE love. I guess the only thing I think it might be is that excited feeling you get when they call for no reason or the security of knowing that there will be somebody that will go way out of their way to make sure that you'll be happy if you're down.

    Like, a super best friend. With sex.

    XD
  • Young
    Love is like the elusive unicorn.... majestic, beautiful, and completely fictional... CYNICISM FOR THE WIN!
  • Gwen
    To me, love is understanding, acceptance, and happiness. Plain, simple, and to the point.
  • Tim
    Love is... despite time, separation, change, distance, sexuality, opinion, religion, choices, appearances, faults, advantages, disadvantages, normality, eccentricities or what brand of shoes they wear... you stick by them forever.
  • Nataly
    it's like light, we think it's white
    but there is so much to it...
    it splits into many colors, it is real and non-real (duo nature of waves and particles)
    I don't really know much about waves or particles
    I don't really know much about L

When I think of love, I tend to think of this quote by James Thurber:
"There are two kinds of light: the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures."

6 comments:

Lauren Ashley said...

I didn't reply for 2 reasons:

1. My answer was:
"Baby don't hurt me, don't hurt me, no more."

2. You already know my serious answer. :)

3. My next answer was:
"Love is when someone makes your heart smile when your lips aren't in the spirit to move..."

But that's plagiarism... I stole it from 5 year old me. haha.

Brent said...

Whatever it is, it's epic and sure incites people :)

Brent said...

PS my Captcha for the last comment was SCOUP xD

Chelsea said...

Haha, I also thought it was funny that Tim had to put down everybody else's answer so he could give his own.

I think in a sense everybody was right.

I guess love is open to interpretation, really.

Captcha: Nulasace

...what?

Lauren Ashley said...

One time, I got really excited about a comment I was leaving Jordan, and I had a lot of exclamation marks at the end of all my sentences, so when I typed my captcha, I was still excited and added an exclamation mark... I had to type it again... haha.

Captcha - reari... this shall be the name of my first born daughter.

Lauren Ashley said...

I just realized my first comment says "I didn't reply for 2 reasons," and I go on to list all three reasons why I didn't reply... XD