Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Proof that I AM doing art!


PHWOAR

I swear, I was just struck by a lightning bolt of inspiration/motivation today. I really can't equate it to anything else, because I felt it, and I jumped up and said, "I HAVE TO DO THIS!!" So I pulled out a chunk of illustration board, cut it, took out my paints and went at it. There were a few times when I thought "wait, this idea is stupid" but that was pretty much overruled by "GET THIS IDEA OUT OR YOU'LL DIE, YOU'LL DAMN DIE!" :)

When that happens, I have to make a playlist to get me pumped. Some fast loud music does the trick, anything with a repetitive and steady beat also does the trick. If I'm doing some analytical drawing, bossa nova seems to work best.

When I have at least an hour and a half's worth of music, I get started. As you can see up there, I'm doing a painting, and it's really easy for me to get lost in it. I haven't really taken a painting class before, so all these techniques and whatnot are totally lost in me, which allows for a lot of experimentation on my part. Laying paint down in huge strokes is more soothing to me than drawing contours or hatching. Which is funny, because I've had more training in drawing and stuff. Maybe I like painting now because I'm not bound by these rules in my head. I need to remember this sort of freedom all the time.

Anyway, time stands still when I'm painting. That's so cliché, but that's how I feel. Hours can go by and I wouldn't notice. I do take breaks (like right now), but when I'm doing a project it's like time doesn't really matter. I go into a daze, a frenzy, and when I take a break and come back I go, Wow, did I really just do that? How long did I spend on it?

These moments of lightning-strike inspiration and bullet-train motivation are few and far between, I'm ashamed to admit. But they still come, and the feeling of consumption I experience when that happens will always be there.

That's why I'm still an artist.

2 comments:

Brent said...

I can't wait to see what it turns out to be, I'm bristling with anticipation :) And yes, you are an ARTIST!

Lauren Ashley said...

That's how I am when I get really into writing!! If I'm writing a story and I know where I want it to go, I'll make a playlist that follows the moods of the story, and then just start typing as the story plays like a movie in my mind... hours will go by and I won't even know!! :)

Can't WAIT to see what you've painted! :D