Friday, February 13, 2009

Crossposted to Facebook

I crossposted the entry "Sugar Rush" to Facebook, because I thought it was a nice shareable entry. It had some humor, some personal little anecdotes, something serious, and above all a unifying theme. It was "worthy" of Facebook, so to speak.

Jose and I actually had a lengthy discussion on how I determine what to keep to the blog and what to post to Facebook. He pointed out that the only difference between them is the available audience and their accessibility. I agree wholeheartedly, and that's actually how I determine what to put up there.

This blog is my personal blog... it is public and people know about it, but the thing is, it simply does not get as much traffic as my Facebook page. Facebook practically steers traffic to my page with all the updates and whatnot! So naturally, whatever I post as a Note on Facebook is something I want more traffic for. This usually means memes or something interactive, some post in which I highly desire reader commentary and interaction. Now, here on Sans Raison I always encourage comments, but it ends up being more like feedback and little opinions from the few who read my blog. I'm not diminishing you guys or anything, since all my readers are the best ;) but if I want more interaction, I go to where I can get more traffic: Facebook.

Random Tangent: The new "Like" feature on Facebook is cute, but it really is just an excuse for people not to actually comment with their own words.

When I put "Sugar Rush" on Facebook, I was hesitant. It didn't have much obvious interaction (like a poll, survey, meme or question), so I didn't think as many people would be inclined to comment. I guess I'm selling myself short by thinking what I put out isn't interesting enough to comment on unless I can spoonfeed them something to do while on my post. Maybe I'm selling my audience short, too. Maybe I'm taking this too seriously ;P

When I think about these kinds of things, I kind of think about how I'm marketing myself. As a designer-in-the-making, I really try to find ways to appeal to people. I've kind of been doing that all my life as a chronic people-pleaser, but this way I get to explore ways to project myself. I'm doing that more with my writing (blogs) and self (social networking) until I grow the balls to actually do it with my artwork. I'll have to start small. Baby steps, you know.

I just got the textbook for my nonverbal communication class in the mail. It's so nice and crisp, and you know what the first thing I thought was?
"Damn, if I keep it this nice and neat, I can list its condition as "Like New" when I sell it back on Amazon!"

Yeeeaaahh.
Stuff like this doesn't go on Facebook ;)
I don't know, what are your opinions? I know I'm asking a limited audience here, but if you've read this entry, please respond. I'd like to know what appeals to you, what you're more likely to respond to, if really personal entries are okay on Facebook, etc.

Oh by the way, "Sugar Rush" got 6 comments total: 3 on Facebook and 3 on the blog. Well if that don't prove a damn thing XD

2 comments:

Brent said...

Weird how SO MUCH thinking/sociology?/psychology? goes into each little action on the internets, huh?

I asked a friend about Like, and he said this "...imagine we got together for coffee. And when I sat there, all I did was give you a thumbs up. Words are nice =]"

I think that sums it up nicely. :D

Brent said...

OOh, I know. I want a big fat Jordan-analysis on smileys, emoticons. It's not so simple as saying 'they're a replacement for intonation' and such. There's a different reason why we use them when we do, and how we do it, but I can't pinpoint it... and what the HECK does :3 mean?!