Thursday, March 12, 2009

Bittersweet

In about one more month, I will allow myself to eat dessert foods again.

Since I'm not Catholic, I've never been required to participate in giving up anything for Lent, but this year I gave it a shot when it dawned on me that I had an incredible sweet tooth and that I should cut back because diabetes runs in my family. It was rather opportune, and Lent gave me the push I needed.

It was hard at first, to determine what "sweets" I would give up. Some of them were obvious: ice cream, cake, cookies, brownies, but others weren't. Did yogurt count? Yogurt was healthy. What about various pastries? Those lemon loafs from Starbucks? I decided to say "dessert foods." I still eat sweet cereals and drink chocolate milk, though. Skipping on the Nutella. Perhaps next time I try to give something up for Lent I'll make it a little more definite, like chocolate, where you can't make a mistake as to what "counts" or not (you know, white chocolate is not really a chocolate...).

I've noticed a few things on my adventures without sweets.
To read on, click below the cut!
(As you can see, I'm trying to be conservative with the homepage space lol)



If only the bear claws in my school vending machines were like that

Today I went into the school art store to peruse some art magazines and look for a snack to eat. I was surprised to discover that my choices had been sliced in half thanks to my Lenting. Is that a word? It is now.

Most of the things I'd consider getting were scratched from my choices: cake loaves, danishes, cookies, candy, brownies... there were a LOT of them. I told myself I wouldn't include pastries, but if they're sweet enough I figured I'd include them too. Man, those bear claws. I usually get those because I'm not a big chips or crackers gal, too dry for me.

This past Sunday I met up with Jose and G to talk about a prospective comic project (more on that in the future, possibly) at Starbucks, and while getting some drinks I almost bought a cake loaf without thinking. Obviously I thought about it, so I stopped myself. Mika said that if I can make it through Lent without caving, she'd buy me a ColdStone cup :d I smell a "That's How I Roll" in the future, and I "Love It!"

So just from all this, it's pretty obvious that I have a good sweet tooth going on. As if my nonstop cake-eating that went on shortly after Jose's birthday didn't already give it away. I hope that I can cake—take, TAKE!—something from all this and not just go back to my sweet-binging ways after Lent is done. I don't want diabetes :(

Something kind of freaky also happened, I dont know if I want to connect it to my current lack of sweets or not. I recently went to the doctor and she weighed me in at 97 pounds. That's horrifying. I can also factor in the fact that I hadn't eaten before seeing her, and within the course of a day a person's weight fluctuates about 2-3 pounds, but still! I've lost quite a bit of weight! People looking to lose weight, TAKE NOTE!

People often tell me how "lucky" I am to have such a slim figure, and I do suppose I am. Thank God for my fast metabolism. Even so, I don't want to be horrifyingly skinny. I don't think I am right now, I've got some curves, but it still scares me a little to be this light. It makes me feel fragile, and that's one thing I hate being.

I've come to the conclusion that I NEED MY CAKE DAMMIT! It keeps the junk in the trunk where it needs to be! :P

But I'll still hold out. I want that ColdStones.

And the satisfaction, of course.

2 comments:

Chelsea said...

I remember I went through Lent a couple of times during high school for the same reasons as you. I think one year is was Soda and the other is was Sweets! I remember even though I WAS swimming a ton a week, I lost weight anyway and felt a lot better. But my sweet tooth totally got the best of me in the end.

I should give up sweets again like I gave up beef. And when I go out to dinner, my choices are also cut in half! I gave up soda too for my mouth, but recently I've been skimping on it. Gotta get on the wagon, Chelsea!

I guess giving up bad food is easier for me than exercising.

I'm glad you're sticking to it, but I guess what you and I both need to learn about is self control rather than giving up something entirely. But I have little self control, lol, when I slip, I sliiiiiiiide down.

Melissa said...

It's a little easier to skip on Starbucks; it's a building, I don't go into it! But I have to say I wouldn't be able to do what you're doing, although it would leave me plenty healthier.

A few summers ago I "dieted" similarly... if I did eat anything sweet, it was in very small portions; 2 cookies max, no matter what kind, 4 Kisses, tiny slice of cake; sooner or later it became rather natural.

Dunno where that went XD I want it back!

GOOD LUCK! I think the best would be if it became a habit to keep for life, you know?

I don't have any self-control either, Chelsea. I make something horribly fattening and covered in chocolate every weekend. How's that for a bad habit?