Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Life is short, have an affair


I've been hearing commercials on the radio lately advertising a dating site called Ashley Madison. Here's the one I heard today:

Woman 1: Hey, guess what!
Woman 2: What?
Woman 1: I'm seeing another guy, and he's fantastic!
Woman 2: Really?
Woman 1: Yea, and I found him on Ashley Madison dot com!

Here's the rundown of Ashley Madison:
It's a dating site that specializes in "Married Dating & Affairs."

I don't even know how to begin describing the absolute rage I feel toward this idea.
What the HELL is going on here?

First of all, don't normal dating sites do the trick already? If a married woman wants to have an affair, couldn't she just pluck someone from another site like OKCupid, PlentyofFish or any of the other numerous dating sites out there? I suppose the members of AshleyMadison already know what they're getting into, and they're into that.

Second of all, why the hell would you advertise it? So much for clandestine.
But I suppose it's a good thing. Any wary spouse can head on over to Ashley Madison and see if their beloved it having an affair.

This is absolutely ludicrous
Look at the site's tagline, too: "Life's short, have an affair."

Life's short... have an affair?
How about, life's short, date around BEFORE you get married? Cripes!
Adultery is one of the lowest sins I can personally think of. When you marry someone, you make a choice to stay committed to that person through sickness and in health, in good times or bad, no matter what happens. You're in it for the long run, you're in it for life. So based on that, wouldn't you want to spend a good bit of time choosing well, just so you know that your spouse WILL be someone you can live with for life? Maybe that would stop you from visiting idiotic sites like Ashley Madison.

This makes me so sick, I want to do something bad to that site or the people in it.




1 comment:

Chelsea said...

I knew they had dating sites for everything from BBW to Nerds, but AFFAIRS?! That's ridiculous and I have no idea why they're putting such a positive spin on it with the radio. Stupid people are going to think that this is OKAY!