Thursday, June 4, 2009

Documenting Life

Ever since I could remember, I have always kept a journal or diary. My mom started me off on a thin notebook. I found it a few months ago, and it's pretty funny to see what I wrote back then. I noticed that most of my entries were short and accompanied by a drawing, like so:


I'm not sure how I lost that along the way. Perhaps as I got better at writing and more fond of it, I was determined to express myself solely with words. I have a buuuunch of journals filled with writing, but not so much with words.

I mostly used my journals to record happenings of the day. If something fun happened, you can bet I'd write all about it in my journal before I go to bed. Psh, even if something fun DIDN'T happen I'd probably just write about how I was bored. But sometimes I'd get tired—the day wore me out, I wouldn't write, and if it was enough to wear me out I'd consider it a daunting task just to try to get it all down. Writing's fun, but at that point it'd just feel like a chore.

Stop: Camera Time!

I've never really wanted a camera before recently. I started borrowing my mom's and sister's camera, just to snap photos whenever I need it. A camera would be great for me because I can control what photos I want to edit in Photoshop. I often find myself looking for something online, and it's never the way I picture it. With the camera, it's all possible.

Then there's the aspect of adding pictures to my journals, or in more relevant terms, "photoblogging." Being an artist, it's so much easier for me to show and tell rather than just tell, especially when it comes to fun stuff that happens. It's true what they say about a picture being worth a thousand words, and I can't believe I'm just now realizing it.

This is where you come in

I'm not looking for a DSLR or anything fancy, I just want a nice point-and-shoot at a reasonable price. I'll be looking around for some myself, but I'd love some recommendations from ya'll. Just leave me a comment about your camera experiences, or hell, anything! Even better if you can recommend a great point-and-shoot... you'd be my hero ;)

No comments: