Monday, July 13, 2009

Bella Swan = Stephenie Meyer?

This article cites Robert Pattinson's (actor for Edward Cullen in the Twilight movies) thoughts on the Twilight books:

"When I read it I was convinced Stephenie was convinced she was Bella and it was like it was a book that wasn't supposed to be published. It was like reading her sexual fantasy, especially when she said it was based on a dream and it was like, 'Oh I've had this dream about this really sexy guy,' and she just writes this book about it. Like some things about Edward are so specific, I was just convinced, like, 'This woman is mad. She's completely mad and she's in love with her own fictional creation.' And sometimes you would feel uncomfortable reading this thing."


When I first read that, I thought, "YES! This guy totally agrees with the sane population! Too bad he's stuck playing Edward."

Then I thought, Did Stephenie Meyer actually describe Bella to look like herself?

I did a bit of a search and came up with Stephenie Meyer's exact description of Bella Swan, pulled from the FAQ portion of her website:

"In my head, Bella is very fair-skinned, with long, straight, dark brown hair and chocolate brown eyes. Her face is heart-shaped—a wide forehead with a widow's peak, large, wide-spaced eyes, prominent cheekbones, and then a thin nose and a narrow jaw with a pointed chin. Her lips are a little out of proportion, a bit too full for her jaw line. Her eyebrows are darker than her hair and more straight than they are arched. She's five foot four inches tall, slender but not at all muscular, and weighs about 115 pounds. She has stubby fingernails because she has a nervous habit of biting them. And there's your very detailed description."


I bolded the parts I thought seemed eerily close to describing what Stephenie Meyer herself looks like...



...the rest seemed to be "idealizing," making her skinnier and younger, etc.
Cripes! Talk about hardcore fantasizing...

Links:
Article where Robert Pattinson says that stuff
Bit where Stephenie Meyer describes Bella

3 comments:

Chelsea said...

I hate that this woman was able to write a book in SIX WEEKS and is now a millionaire for these pieces of CRAP. She is a crazy person.

Kat said...

Wow. Funny thing is when Nikki and I went to go see her at Borders, she didn't say anything like that about Bella LOOOL. Yeaaah. Interesting...

Lauren Ashley said...

I agree with Chelsea... if Stephanie Meyer can write Twilight and six weeks and be a millionaire off of it, why can't I get paid for my fan fiction? WE SHOULD ALL BE MILLIONAIRES, JOLLS!!! Especially everyone that wrote that dodgeball Heroes fic... lol.

Robert's ability to actually come out and say what he felt about the books makes me respect him more... he doesn't run around saying Twilight is the worse thing he's ever done, then smile and say he loves it and it was the best experience of his life like SOME of the cast... But I still don't think he's hot. Haha.

BTW, Stephanie forgot the part where Bella has no depth to her character, and no facial expressions.