Sunday, October 18, 2009

As of Late

Whoo, school's a doozy.
I don't know if the classes are harder or I'm just not into them as much as I was in the Spring. Yea, that's it, I'm totally not into them as much. My art classes are fine, but everything else...? Not so much. I'm starting to wonder if the minor in Marketing was the best thing. If anything, at least I'll learn.

I've got a bunch of projects lined up, and I'm wondering if that's the best thing for me. I'm always wondering, always second-guessing. It's what I do, it keeps me on my toes. I'm rambling. On top of my graphic design and painting class assignments, I've got a comic project I'm working on, a business card to design, a logo and potential identity gig, screenprinting with a friend for kicks and Disney's ImagiNations Design Contest.

The Disney Design Contest seems pretty boss, though. And totally legit. All participants, regardless of the placement, have a chance at an internship at Disney Imagineering! That'd be so sweet if I could land that. I'm trying to get a team together, with the help of some random emails sent to me by the Society of Student Illustrators at school. Hopefully it works out.

Man, I need to earn money.
My boss at my old job decided that he can't afford to pay me any more, but he's still letting me do volunteer work in exchange for art supplies and studio time. Sweet deal.
I still need money.
I should really set up a portfolio website where I can post my stuff and tell people that I'm totally for hire. And then hope they hire me. I should also actually make more things I can put in a portfolio. I guess all these projects will do, right?

I've started to employ a new just freakin' do it philosophy. A step above Nike's, it's very throw-caution-to-the-wind, very get-your-ass-on-it, very why-the-hell-not. Essentially, I'm trying to get out of my phase of wondering if I'm capable enough to do something. I'm going to just freakin' do it. It's what made me take on all these projects.

Now let's just hope I haven't bitten off more than I can chew.

Oh! I've also picked up playing the piano again.
I haven't really seriously done it in about four years. I don't know what came over me to make me want to play. Someone donated an upright piano to the studio I paint at the other week. When David (boss) asked me if I could play anything, I said sure! Because I did, I did play piano! But damn, I don't remember anything. I felt dumb. I felt like I wasted a talent that I had spent years cultivating. So it was probably that incident... and Matthew Bellamy's beautiful piano playing. I want that man to serenade me to sleep every night.

Not only am I getting back into piano, I'm going to do some "serious" pieces, starting with Chopin. Right now I'm learning his Nocturne in C-sharp Minor (opus posthumous), which is a good piece for me to learn. Hard enough, but not unattainably hard.

I do miss doing music, and hopefully the re-introduction of playing music in my life will ease the overflow of art.
Some people can work with being flooded by their products own specialty at all hours of the day and all days of the week, but I can't. I grew up having my interests spread out, and that's how I am now. I know I'm a graphic design student, but I don't get to learn some music or some physics theory or read a good piece of literature now and again, I'll go insane. I need horizontal exposure, or I'll die.

Well, my creativity will.

Anyway, I've think I've rambled on long enough.
Hopefully I'll post more here.

3 comments:

Justin said...

Maybe when you're not as bogged down with projects and you set up that website, you can do a little Random Ramblings promotional artwork for me to put on my site. And then I can be like "GO TO HER FOR ART. DO IT NOW, FOOL!" and stuff.

Lauren Ashley said...

I second that... do a few little promotional artworks for blogs and then they can be like "GO NOW OR I EATCHOR FACE!!!"

I love your artwork, for realz, Jolldoll. :) You rock hardcore. Good luck with that Disney competition! I should have done that when I had the chance but now my chops are gone...

As for your new mentality... couple that with a "no excuses" mind set and you'll be unstoppable! :) I'm rootin' for ya! Keep me posted!

Brent said...

Yayy piano, so excited for you :):)

On an unrelated note, I came across this and thought of you:
http://cakewrecks.blogspot.com/2009/10/sunday-sweets-steampunk.html