Thursday, December 31, 2009

New Year, Old Traditions

Today is the last day of the year 2009.

It's been a mixed bag this year, hasn't it? All that craziness with the Iranian election, not to mention all the celebrities that passed away this year... I myself have struggled with many things, including my art, my beliefs, where I stand with others, and who I am as a person.

For me, 2009 feels like the beginning of a change. I'm in my 4th year of college, but in no way am I graduating just yet. I'm on the cusp of adulthood and I'm slowly gaining more freedom and responsibilities than I had when I first started attending university. I'm starting to think about where I'm going, and to be honest, I can't see the end of it. It's a little scary.

2010 is approaching, and it only reminds me of the passing of time and what we must all do to keep up in terms of environmental, political, social, personal and interpersonal issues. I don't say this to scare you all, but more as a reminder, a motivation. We're marching toward the future, we are here and we are now; the future belongs with us.

All right, I didn't really intend to give that ramble, but there it is! XD
Onto more light-hearted things, like my underwear.

It's covered in polka-dots.
My shirt is bright red.
I'm changing my sheets,
and there are 12 different types of round fruit within my household.
You can bet that at 12 midnight, I'll be wishing a Happy New Year with my family.

These are all rather superstitious traditions upheld by my mother, who has insisted on following them since we were kids. Polka-dots and red are good luck, and the 12 fruits thing is, too (I think it's for prosperity). These are all Chinese traditions that I really should had grown out of, but as I put on my clothes for the day, I can't help but adhere to these traditions. When I was a kid I thought it was fun, and truly believed that good luck would come. But now I do it out of... habit? Tradition? Maybe it's still fun for me.

My mother also believes that whatever happens on the New Year's Day will repeat itself throughout the year. That, I'm not entirely sure I believe, because I know there a lot of things I want to do this year that wouldn't fit in one day!

As of about 3 years ago, I stopped believing in New Year's Resolutions. Every time I made them, they failed. It seemed like just another tradition, one that I wasn't able to keep. After all, shouldn't one set goals regardless of what day it is?

However, right now I feel inspired to create a list of goals for 2010, thanks to my friend Jenny here who did the same thing. There are many things I want to do, as I've said before, and perhaps lining them out here will help me focus on each of them. Let's give it a shot!

So, in 2010, I want to...

1. Art more.
Much like Jenny's "write more," this relates directly to my talent, passion, and career field of choice. I've got many many interests, but above those I am an artist, this is what I've chosen to do. And what good is an artist who doesn't draw, sketch, paint, and experiment on a regular basis? I'll fade into obsolescence! To promote this, I'll be joining NaBloPoMo for January 2010, and instead of merely writing an entry every day, I'm going to post a drawing or some form of art every day. Somehow, needing to keep up with NaBloPoMo motivates me, the pressure of delivering something every day keeps me going, even if it's nothing too significant.

2. Continue to be more proactive.
This is a skill that gained more points this year, but I want it to keep going in the following year. 2009 saw my very first paid design commission, and 2010 is bound to see more (seriously, I've already got two more gigs lined up!). I need to get it together and really learn how to deliver on time. Aside from things like these, I need to cut down on the procrastination and silly forgetfulness when it comes to really important things. I'll write things down constantly. I need to so I can remember. That's what sketchbooks are (partially) for, right?

3. Build a personal website by the end of the year.
That's right. Even though I'm basically HTML-retarded, I will learn, my website will rock, and it will contain my portfolio and resume, to be updated frequently. Of course, I'd have to have artwork in order to create a portfolio site, which ties into #1 and leads me to...

4. Create more finished artwork
This is a huge thing for me. I can sketch as much as I want, but what good am I if I don't crank out some serious personal artwork? I only ever seem to get things done in class, and that's not going to help me. My winter break is all of January, so throughout all that I'm going to create at least ONE finished piece in any medium. And it will be on the portfolio.

The previous four are all related somehow, and have everything to do with advancing my art both personally and career-wise. This is all well and good, but let's see if I can inject some more personal goals...

5. Learn to accept when things don't go my way.
I don't know what happened, but somehow, I developed a short temper in 2009 for when things wouldn't go my way. If something didn't go my way I'd take it very personally and everybody knew it. It's not healthy for me, it's not healthy for others, it's got to go. I need to meditate, to need to breathe deeply and count to 10, I need to find something else to do.

6. Exercise.
Around 100% of my anxiety could be at least lessened by exercising! This is such a common "resolution" that I almost didn't want to put it because I might jinx it. But hey, there it is. What can I do? Exercise is so broad. I can bike, I like biking better than running because running makes my legs itch (as in really painful itching). I could do yoga. Continue training with José. There.

7. Learn to cook.
How could I not, seriously? Cooking is fun, as I found from our recent shindig with my friends :D I can make tempura now, and watch out later! Burgers, pizza, delicious things! Man that is so broad, but somehow I'll make it happen. With a little help from my friends.


This is all I could think to put in here right now.
I'm gonna hit the ground running (or skipping, since running makes my legs itche)—tomorrow you'll see the first of 31 sketches I'll be posting hopefully every day throughout the month. And hopefully I'll have learned something.

Adios, 2009!

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Great goals! Thanks for the mention :)

Get the Wii Fit if you want to exercise.

And I'm really excited to see a daily peice of Jols work! I love your style :)