Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Still Riding that High

Ever since my dad told me about the opportunity to learn how to fly in the Philippines I haven't stopped thinking about flying again. It was exhilarating the first time, but will the next time be full of self-doubt and second guesses? I sure hope not... I hope the feeling is still the same as that time I flew 5 years ago, feeling like I'm at home.

The forces of the Universe must really want me to fly, because yesterday I happened upon an article by Davin Coburn on his experience of earning a pilot's license within a week.

...what?


The rundown is that, based on the Federal Aviation Administration's Sport Pilot Initiative, anybody could get a pilot's license for way cheaper, and in way less time than normal. Coburn got his in a week. There are certain restrictions: with a Sport Pilot License, you are only allowed to fly certain lightweight aircrafts, in certain areas, during the day. However, the entire thing would cost $3,500 or less, and you're only required to complete 20 hours of flight time.

Even though the aircraft is a little different, it's still flight, and in my position, I think this option would be best for me. Obviously I'm not going to go sign up right now, but I am going to start saving up for it. Even though the school in the Philippines will give me a legitimate Private/Commercial Pilot License, I would hate myself for dropping $20,000 and not committing to doing this for a job... and right now, and probably at least 2 more years in the future, I'm not sure that I want to do that. With a Sport Pilot License, I'll fulfill my desire for flight in a way that's considerably less expensive, and it'll help me decide if flying is what I want to do as a career.

It's amazing how I just completely forget about graphic design and art when I start thinking about this.

It's even more amazing that... I don't feel guilty at all because of it.

No comments: