Monday, December 13, 2010

Shoes, too?!

Today while my parents and I were sorting through old shoes to figure out what to keep and what to donate to the Salvation Army, we came across a Vans box, with a brand new pair of Vans in it!


I tried them on, and surprisingly, they fit very well and actually feel quite comfortable. I've never had a pair of Vans slip-ons before, so I decided to keep them. Because nobody has ever bought these, I thought they had come from the Philippines. My dad used to go to the Philippines a lot, and sometimes he'd come home with shoes—most of them very convincing knock-offs of popular brands, like Converse. He doesn't remember ever getting these, but I'm still convinced that they are grade-A Filipino shoes. Other evidence that it came from the Philippines? It has Minnie Mouse all over it, but the name "Millay" is written below her. Every single time. Sure looks like a fob shoe to me, and a damn good copy too XD

Can anybody guess what I'm about to say next?

I'm going to repaint these shoes!

Not that the Minnie Mouse pattern and, uh, "Millay" aren't cute, but c'mon—free canvas shoes? I can't not paint on them. That would be ludicrous. 

This project is much more likely to happen than the snowboard one, at least in terms of time. I can totally paint over this during winter break. But the big question is: what should I paint on it?

I've thought of a few themes:
  • Space (black, purple and blue with stars and nebulas and stuff)
  • Adventure Time (with Jake the doooog and Finn the human!)
  • Octopus (oh you know)
  • Elephants 
  • CMYK or some other really cliché designer thing
  • Avatar: the Last Airbender
  • DUNGEONS & DRAGONS
  • Some kind of nice abstract pattern with colors I don't really have for shoes right now
Right now probably the last one, ha.
If ya'll have any awesome ideas or even more awesome tips on painting these shoes, hit me up with a comment!

2 comments:

Chelsea said...

Those shoes are really cool! I can't wait to see how they come out.

When I was in Hong Kong, I got myself a pair of Converse for about 15 american dollars (or 130 HK dollars).

All of the shoes had something on them where you could tell they were knock offs, like saying "Star-All" instead of "All Star" or "Convierse" instead of "Converse". But when I told them what pair of shoes I wanted, they gave me a pair that loos completely real, with the correct words and everything!

GirlWonder said...

I can't decide between space, Adventure Time, and octopus.

If you do the octopus, I posit that orange and blue would be neat colors to utilize. I say this because we have a Christmas ornament that is a big, bright orange octopus wrapping its tentacles around a deep blue ball and I totally thought of you immediately when I hung it up this year. :D Also juxtaposing colors that are opposites on the color wheel--one of my favorite things to do. As a graphic designer, I think you can appreciate this.

Here's a picture of it I found online. http://shopchristmasonline.com/images/12129.jpg

Is it not cool?!

I guess despite my personal bias towards space and my love of Adventure Time, I am voting octopus.