Sunday, January 2, 2011

"Leaving" 2010 Behind

I always thought that the idea of leaving a year behind was funny, as though the entire year was a burden on your shoulders that you simply shrugged off when the ball dropped for the New Year. When I look back at older pictures and blog posts from just the past year, back in January, February and such, it feels like I leave the months behind as they go because these times feel so far away. A year ago today I wanted to draw and post a picture every single day for the entire year, and that slowly faded away. It seems so far away, like time passes very slowly for me. Anyway, I wanted to recap my year in the form of lists. So, here we are...

2010
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

GOOD

  • Snowboarding for the very first time, and loving it :')
  • Celebrating one year together with José <3
  • Actually drinking alcohol XD
  • Swing dancing at Atomic 
  • Salsa dancing at Alpine Village
  • Staying in touch with Stephanie, my graphic design professor
  • Learning butterfly knife tricks :d
  • Biking down the Strand from Redondo Beach to Santa Monica
  • José's graduation
  • My mom's graduation
  • Summer school!
  • Baking baking baking
    • Apple bread, apple pie, blueberry cobbler, yumm :d
  • Summer Fil-Am reunion
  • Amber & Luis' wedding!!
  • Paddle-boarding
  • Mika going to San Jose :') (in the 'congratulations' way, not the 'Hurray she's gone' way XD)
  • The Amazing Santa Monica Race!
  • Mika's 18th birthday party!
  • "Don't Ask Don't Tell" repealed
  • The return of the electric car!
  • Las Vegas Fil-Am reunion
  • Landing my first internship! Yes!!
  • Toy Story 3, How to Train Your Dragon, Inception, Black Swan, Scott Pilgrim vs the World, Zombieland, Inglorious Basterds, Tangled, Legend of the Guardians: Owls of Ga'Hoole
  • Classes: Intermediate graphic design, History of graphic design, Metalsmithing, Bookmaking :)
  • HELLO XBOX KINECT

BAD
  • Snowboard-related ouches D:
  • Getting drunk and sick for the first time
  • Getting stuck in a creative rut for the longest time :\
  • Lagging on my jkd training
  • The passing of Auntie Audrey :(
  • ...and my bookmaking professor's dad
  • ...and Brent's dad :(
  • BP oil spill
  • The Last Airbender >8[
  • Mika leaving for San Jose :') It was bittersweet!
  • Jaw problems 
  • Sinus problems

UGLY
  • That creative rut I mentioned...
  • Having crushes on professors :x
  • The Human Centipede
    • I never saw it, but come on :(
  • Various emotional turmoils that I put myself through
I'm so sure that I forgot a bunch, but that's okay.
I think compared to other years, 2010 was not particularly spectacular or extravagant for me, although it certainly had its glory moments. As with every year, I learned a lot about myself and how to do things, and in 2010 what I learned is that nothing compares to action. I spent a lot of time switching mindsets from dreaming, thinking and making ideas to actually putting them to action, even if they're not entirely thought out. It's a habit I really want to keep up in 2011, and I certainly hope that I can. It'll be crucial to me when I graduate and switch gears from college to the dreaded real world!

So in a way, 2010 was a year of preparation for me. I grew out of old, childish habits and modes of thinking and really started to grow up about my work and my design. 2011 will be a year of great change for me, what with the graduation and all. I might not even be living in the same place, or with the same people, by the end of the year.

My official 2011 Resolution is to not post those "like this and I'll say something nice about you" type of statuses on Facebook XD Seriously, they are a waste of time and they often leave me wondering, "You don't even talk to me, and now you want me to say something nice about you?" I certainly try, but it's clear that it's just a trap for attention-fishers. The new year wouldn't be complete without some actual goals, so let's line out some right now.

January 2011 Goals
  • I'll make a monthly list of goals. One for the entire year isn't going to cut it if I actually want to achieve anything.
  • Create at least one new portfolio piece
  • Draw  at least one comic for José, and one for Chris
  • Book covers for Heidi and Lauren
  • Paint the "Millay" shoes 
  • Make some sketchbooks for Heidi's etsy shop
It's kind of a hefty list, but if I actually get off my ass and do each one I'll power through it by the end of the month :)

So here's to 2011! May I get more done than I did last year XD

1 comment:

Brent said...

What a year. What. A. Goddamned. Year.